I really believed it an anomaly I was even nominated. After all, for a role in which I spent only twenty consecutive minutes onstage in the middle of a three-act play last June, I was amazed anyone had even remembered me, much less considered me for a Column Award. So when my fellow Brigadoon cast-mate Stan Graner announced that I had won Best Supporting Actor in a Play (non-equity), I was truly stunned.
We packed the Carpenter Theater at the Irving Arts Center last night. Most of the Dallas/Fort Worth theater community had come to enjoy the 11th Annual Column Awards honoring excellence in theater throughout the metroplex. The place was oozing talent. Broadway leading man Ron Bohmer co-hosted the event; reunited casts performed musical numbers of outstanding quality from nominated productions; and the presenters kept the event moving at a brisk pace while performing improvised comedy bits that put the audience in stitches. To share a nomination with anyone in this crowd – indeed, just to be invited as a presenter – was more of an honor than I had imagined.
But to win – to become, in an instant, a Column Award-winning actor – leaves me speechless and humbled. My thanks to the following:
- Arthur Miller – for All My Sons, a truly classic drama of the American theater.
- John Garcia and everyone at The Column – your organization is a blessing of immeasurable value to all of us. No words of gratitude could ever come close to expressing how we feel.
- ICT MainStage
- Marco Salinas – for casting me as George Deever and guiding me through rehearsal.
- Tom Ortiz – Column Award-winning Stage Manager for his work in All My Sons.
- The superb cast of ICT’s All My Sons: Paul Arnold, Lyzz Broskey, Catherine DuBord (the most wonderful fictional sibling a guy could have), Diana Gonzalez (who belts The Beatles’ “Come Together” like nobody’s business), Michael McNiel, Fred Patchen, Drew Smith, Diane Truitt, and Jordan Willis (whose commitment and support of live theater awes me).
- Terry Martin, Donald Fowler and all my WaterTower Meisner classmates.
- My ever-supportive mother; Brian and Sandy, my true-life siblings; Nathan and Donovan, my ruggedly adorable nephews; and Dad, whose presence is always felt.
- Arlette, my beautiful and brilliant wife whose talent vastly overshadows mine.
- And, most importantly, God, who makes all things possible.
Congratulations to all the nominees and winners. Thank you for allowing me to be part of this amazing community of talent.